header logo

 

FA Charter Standard Club History

The history of Beacon Hill Rovers can be traced back to March 1921 when visiting farm workers challenged the locals at the Mitre Public House to a match. Landlord Jack Barnes organised a team, a set of black and white shirts were borrowed and a pitch was cleared in a field behind the pub. Whilst the match was lost the seeds had been sown and the Rovers have provided local league football ever since.

1926 saw the establishment of a new pitch and facilities at Snows Corner with Club being founder members of the Beacon Hill Sports Association. This was to be the Club’s home for the next 87 years. The 1930’s was a period of steady establishment with a number of trophies collected from the Kelvedon and Braintree Leagues. A ten year period from 1947 saw the Club’s greatest success on the pitch. Joe Cousins had been the mastermind with developing talent through the Club’s first venture into youth football bringing a stack of trophies including three successes in the prestigious D’Arcy Cup. At this time the Club also pushed local footballing boundaries by running a Ladies Team.

The lows for the Club came in the 1960’s when the Rovers did well to survive a series of financial and playing crises. By the next decade they had re-established themselves as stalwart members of the Mid-Essex Football League with the First Team and Reserves fluctuating between the divisions interspersed with seasons of mid-table mediocrity whilst winning the occasional Cup. Club stalwarts Reg Banham and John Hennessey worked hard to gain some success and by the 1990’s the First Team were consistent members of the Premier Division.

In 1996 Beacon Hill celebrated 75 years of Rovers’ football. During these celebrations the future became a topic of  debate. Like many similar local clubs the Rovers were finding it harder to maintain two teams and introduce young players. It was decided to implement a plan, the Club had to broaden it’s horizons from 27 playing members struggling for survival one season to the next. Rovers recognised that they offered little back to the local community and had no structure for development. The result? With the support of the Beacon Hill Sports Association Rovers started offering coaching sessions for local youngsters, a mini-soccer team was entered into the local League and suddenly we were different, the Club had a much more positive, forward thinking feel to it. As seasons went by further Youth Teams were added as were a Veterans Team to provide “cradle to grave” football opportunities! A Ladies team was then added and it became apparent that quaint Snows Corner just wasn’t big enough to provide for the communities desire to play football.

The move to the new ground at “The Hill” in 2005 saw new and bigger facilities allowing more Youth Teams including a Girl’s Team to join the fun. The location actually takes the Club back to it’s original home just behind the Mitre. A Grand Opening on the 10th September 2005 saw Sir Trevor Brooking cut the black and white ribbon and Rovers haven’t looked back since. The 2007-08 season was a key one for the Club, the first group of Beacon Hill youth players were old enough to join the Men’s Teams and they were drafted in to great success as the season progressed. To meet the need Rovers had to start a Third Saturday Team and this season will see the Girl’s youth team players joining the Ladies Team. That plan hatched in 1996 is finally paying off. We wonder what the future brings?

 

FA Charter Standard Club of the Year 2008
find us contact us login
Essex County FA Club Website of the Year 2011